The Department of Dance, at the University of Illinois, is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive community. Through multiple cultural perspectives we negotiate difference through our bodies, histories, and creativity as we expand our collective capacities for inclusivity where all voices are heard. We will achieve our goal by investigating all things related to who dances, what we dance, and how we dance together.
- Our decisions and actions will recognize the importance of diversity and inclusion and are grounded in the belief that this is critical for the advancement of everyone.
- Our commitment to a collective understanding of dance, art, history, and culture is through rigorous and respectful approaches to dialogue.
- We embrace all human diversity: gender, race, class, age, sexual orientation, and persons with disabilities.
- We strive to develop a curriculum that includes multiple perspectives for understanding dance as a multifaceted, culturally based art form.
- Our implementation of diversity and inclusivity will be continually assessed and open-ended.